Friday, September 17, 2010

Single in the City of Djinns

"Single, and loving it" is more than just a popular T-shirt slogan. Some people, myself included, have actually lived this catchy phrase with panache. There is a certain something about walking into a bar alone or with another girlfriend, placing your behind on a barstool and enjoying a mojito or many more. Or say, a bunch of you getting dolled up to go dancing at the nearest disc. Or simply, the smaller joys of not having someone constantly breathe down your neck, and of course, not to forget all the drama, melodrama, tears, and jealousy, that a relationship brings into your life by default. Think of all the time you save for yourself; more time for pedicures and back massages, to read and paint, or just to laze around and day dream.

And we all know what happens when one of your friends gets hooked. Time to say goodbye! No more all-girls' PJ parties; she'll always have a tail following her. OK, before you get down to judging me: i don't hate the male species, at least not anymore, and do have some amazing guy buddies. But, gosh how they change when they start seeing somebody! Just today, I called this old-time pal of mine. No guesses here, but we kinda drifted when he got hitched. In spite of being great bosom buddies some years back, we now meet no more than once a year. So, it being a Friday evening, which I see as a time of celebration, I called up this ol' pal. What I got from the end of the line was a mixture of nostalgia and  a few awkwardly framed sentences. Says he, "Hi D!!!!! Where have you been? Its been forever. We must meet." Perfect, so I go "Cool! I'm getting out of office. How about this evening? " "Oh! I'm with xxx (the GF, obviously) right now. But I'll definitely meet you someday." The last being the operative word here. "Someday!" That's perhaps the worst one of all the non-committal  responses that can be thrown at you.

So, I am a 20-something working woman living in South Delhi. I take pride in the fact that I earn my own bread-and-butter, can buy my mother jewelry, travel in an auto or a bus without qualms, transport myself to and from the New Delhi railway station, buy vegetables, fix bulbs, and hold my drink. Then why must my nosy neighbors look at me with worried and questioning expressions. And when I visit my parents, why must these aunties, say to my poor unsuspecting folks, "How much she's grown up! Time now to find a nice boy and get her married." You can keep your opinions to yourself, thank you very much!

Hints from i-have-nothing-else-to-do aunties and glances from the gossiping Punju neighbors is one thing. I couldn't be bothered. But, when each morning, fb tells me that another old classmate or colleague is engaged/married/pregnant/a mother, I am rendered speechless for a bit. My first response, "What is the world coming to!" But as I browse through their  pictures, somewhere amid the smiling faces, embraces, and tears, there is tangible joy and unparalleled excitement that catches me unawares. Could there be anything more precious than a mommy holding her baby for the first time? I think not. "Becoming a softie, huh?", I quickly chide myself.

I guess, each of us has our own unique story and our own perfect timing. So I'll leave it at that, and get back to  finishing my glass of wine.

4 comments:

  1. Ah the eloquent DC speaks! Great piece Deecu. Welcome to the world of bloggers!!

    Now being of the the 'hitched' ones I must say parts of your tirade against 'us' is true but it ain't all that bad gurl.

    I think one just needs to realize that you don't need to cling to each other like leeches to prove your 'devotion and love'.
    A day will come when 'friends-in-love' will realise that you don't need to cling to each other like leeches to prove your 'love and devotion'. Being with someone also means having your own space & time and understanding the other person's need for it as well...

    I guess we all grow up someday - "the last being the operative word here" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved the - "Someday!" That's perhaps the worst one of all the non-committal responses that can be thrown at you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. D-chofang! still drifting and whining. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diggi... I think you hit the nail on its head.

    We're just like ferrero rochers - hard shells, soft and mushy inside, a bit nutty and oooohh so irresistible...

    Don't worry one day a boy will come along who's sick of eating snickers and will appreciate a real keeper.

    muah!!!

    ReplyDelete